Subject: Simple ideas for advocacy.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/12/1998 17:54:11
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 13 Oct 1998 00:54:19 -0000
	by polaris.garbled.net (8.8.8/8.8.8) id RAA19471
	for netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org; Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:54:17 -0700 (MST)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:54:11 -0700 (MST)
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

Just some ideas for advocacy, that dont involve any money:

a) Hang out on irc..  #netbsd.  There isn't much activity there (which doesnt
look good), and people sometimes pop in and ask questions.  I've helped a
number of newbies this way, and swayed a few fencesitters over.

b) Run and publish benchmarks!  Yes!  We are confident that our OS is fast and
effective, no?  Well then lets prove it.  Lots of people have benchmark
collection sites, where you can send in your results.  Do so!  I'm sending my
hbench results in.  The pkg collection is a good place to start for some of
these.. As is www.netlib.org.  Maybe someone should set up a "netbsd benchmark
results page" on the web..

(and no flames about benchmarks being nonsense, and not proving anything..  If
they didnt work (ie, sway consumers, screw accuracy) then companies wouldnt
spend millions doing them.)

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org