Subject: Re: Export NetBSD CDs
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/11/1998 22:04:52
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 12 Oct 1998 04:05:01 -0000
	by beer.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id WAA21722;
	Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:04:56 -0600 (MDT)
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:04:52 -0600

Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>  wrote:
 > Suppose I was some who had never run NetBSD, but had been convinced
 > that it would suit a particular purpose. Go to the website. The
 > distribution is "SOLD OUT". Go to the mailing lists and get told
 > that there will be no more pressed. Get FreeBSD.

I don't believe we said we wouldn't press anymore.  I believe we said
we weren't pressing any more 1.3.2 CD's and to wait for the next release.
If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you hand over cash
so we can press some more 1.3.2 CD's or 'get off the pot'.

 > >Let me tell you what we _have_ done.
 > [ stuff deleted]
 >
 > I didn't say it was easy, but if your going to sell bananas for
 > a living then you have to sell bananas everyday.

ah. I see where your problem is.  No one is making a living off of
this.  In fact, it's costing a few of us more than it's making; so
no, in fact, I _don't_ have to sell CD's every day.  If you want CD's
sold every day; then press some of your own and sell them.

 > >Well, I invite you to.  We certainly don't own the CDROM market.
 > >There are 3 other CD vendors who are selling NetBSD CD's; but yet
 > >you feel you can jump in and do it better.  Well, you know where
 > >the ftp site is.  Go for it.
 >
 > Walnut Creek is still shipping NetBSD 1.2.

relevant how?

 > http://www.schatztruhe.de/ is selling the non-domestic version. Which
 > I bought. Looks good.

That's great!

 > Cheapbytes only sells a i386 distribution, although it is domestic.

and your point is......

 > And you don't have any.

That's very astute.

 > >Is that a deal?
 > >

 > I'm not saying it's easy. I'm offering my services as a human
 > sacrifice. :-)

I never claimed you said it was easy.  You didn't offer any relevant
services.  You said "I have a domain name and some bandwidth but I
don't have any money and I need people to write all the software,
but once we have all that stuff, then I'll sell CD's"...

bzzzt. Wrong kind of help.