Subject: Re: News...
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/08/1998 09:46:11
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 8 Oct 1998 12:46:22 -0000
	via sendmail with stdio
	id <m0zRFSO-0005ajC@smtp.fundy.net>
	for netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG; Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:46:12 -0300 (ADT)
	(Smail-3.2.0.101 1997-Dec-17 #4 built 1998-May-27)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:46:11 -0300
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>,
	"Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 02:07:00PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Neil A. Carson wrote:
> > A friend of mine, Andrew McMurry (who also did FileCoreFS) has started
> > porting NetBSD to the Psion Series 5a organiser (and later probably the
> > Geofox too). It looks like:
> > 	1) We might beat Linux to being the first unix to run on a Palmtop
> > 	2) We'll have something even cooler than a Shark to show at events
>
> Sounds terriffic. :^) Where do I get such a machine? ;-)))
> Serious, I don't know what exactly a Psion is, and why one would run
> NetBSD on, besides coolness. Or better, what one *can* run. What CPU
> (speed) does it have, does it have a harddisk or something similar?

Back with my Psion 3 I used to quote "NetBSD for Psion, an idea whose time
has come!"

I have a 5 and would love to try NetBSD with it. I have some doubts about
how much system will fit though, in the 8 megs of static ram. I suppose
a lot of drivers can be left out... It has a vga resolution greyscale LCD,
pen interface, and full keyboard. Check www.psion.com for full machine
specs.

Does Andrew want to be left alone on this, or would he like other
interested parties to contact him? (And what's his email addr?)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,