Subject: Re: a non-original idea.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 16:13:52
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 16 Sep 1998 22:13:55 -0000
	by beer.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id QAA06524
	for <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>; Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:13:53 -0600 (MDT)
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:13:52 -0600

Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>  wrote:
> like the current method of doing the CDs..  I think the big thing that freebsd
> and linux have over us, are "Books"  Everyone loves books..  Unfortunately, not
> everyone can write them..

not to put down the FreeBSD book; but I flipped through it at the bookstore
and to me it looked like:

	a) manpages
	b) supported hardware
	c) install procedures
	d) kernel configuration
	e) table of contents
	f) index

So, IMHO, it looks like we already have all that information somewhere
and can probably generate a similar book with a fairly simple 'Makefile'.

Question is, is there any real value in such a book given our
intended audience?  Would anyone publish such a book?

Just thoughts.  Again, to clarify: I don't intend to put down the
FreeBSD book.  I'm sure a lot of hard work went into it and it's
important for the intended audience.

H.