Subject: Re: a non-original idea.
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 17:56:48
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 16 Sep 1998 21:56:55 -0000
	by zygorthian-space-raiders.mit.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) id RAA08779;
	Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Charles M. Hannum" <root@ihack.net>
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

> Somehow, a dump of man pages wouldn't seem quite as sexy as a full-blown
> book with a nice, glossy cover, a full-blown tutorial, and lots of practical
> information.

It's not even an issue of `sexy'.  It's an issue of *functionality*.
Man pages work okay as references, but they are completely incapable
of teaching people how to do something.  We need `setting up a web
server with NetBSD', `setting up a NFS server with NetBSD', `running
Mac programs unders NetBSD', etc.  Tutorials are what people need.