Subject: Re: a non-original idea.
To: None <root@garbled.net, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 17:27:24
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 16 Sep 1998 21:27:43 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.8.8/8.8.8) id RAA20805;
	Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:27:24 -0400
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: root@garbled.net, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 01:19:32PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> I think the big thing that freebsd and linux have over us, are "Books"
> Everyone loves books..  Unfortunately, not everyone can write them..

This is a good idea, I think... A NetBSD book would help us to be taken
more seriously, and having a random NetBSD book on the bookshelf at
various chains would be great exposure.

What would be *really* good would be to have O'Reilly do the NetBSD
book.

I'd be very much interested in contributing to this project. I'm not a
published author, but I'm capable of generating a lot of high-quality
content.

I think what we need need is a detailed plan, and an outline of potential
content. A list of available writers and editors would be useful as well.
This mailing list would be an excellent medium through which we can begin
a NetBSD book project.

Random ideas:

A set of appendices entitled "NetBSD for GNU/Linux Users," "NetBSD for
Solaris Users," et. al., would likely be extremely useful for folks
interested in translating their current expertise into knowledge of the
NetBSD way of doing things.

An tutorial section dealing with basic system administration tasks
would be worthwhile, given that a large number of our users come straight
from the MacOS and Windows worlds.

A small section regarding games and entertainment would be welcome. All
work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy, as the saying goes.

Please send me more ideas... I'll quite happily take on the responsibility
of coordinating and logging the brainstorming process.

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.dyn.ml.org/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments