Subject: Re: Some ideas for advocacy
To: netbsd-advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 13:33:03
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 16 Sep 1998 11:33:05 -0000
	by gnyf.t.dk (8.9.0.Beta3/8.9.0.Beta3) id NAA23450
	for netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG; Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:33:03 +0200 (CEST)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:33:03 +0200
From: "Soren S. Jorvang" <soren@t.dk>
To: netbsd-advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 05:01:18AM -0400, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> I am currently working on arranging a CVS server outside of North
> America to house our crypto-related code.  When this is done, we will
> need people outside the U.S. to reintegrate a few things -- a full DES
> implementation, Kerberos 5 (probably Heimdal), and various other small
> bits.
>
> At that point it should be possible for someone outside the U.S. to
> press discs that can be sold (almost) anywhere in the world.  I
> probably can't do this myself, but I can supply artwork and whatnot to
> someone else to do so.
>
> However, I'm not sure how this applies to France.  Are you even
> permitted to have crypto code, or would it require a special release
> with no crypto at all?  I, for one, have no plans to do the latter.

Actually, I think having (perhaps made by netbsd.com) a non-crypto
CD for places other than North America would be quite workable.

At least around here, Kerberos is practically non-existant, and
as long as people can have /etc/passwd security and easily
install the ssh package (perhaps with a hint in the installation
instruction), most people will be happy.

Those who want more could just fetch the missing pieces from the
places Charles is setting up.

I think having the two distributions made by the same entity
(for support issues and to have things like multi-platform
CD booting work with both) would be beneficial.

--
Soren