Subject: Re: Some ideas for advocacy
To: Brian de Alwis OTT <Brian_de_Alwis@oti.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/15/1998 15:52:31
To: Brian_de_Alwis@oti.com (Brian de Alwis OTT)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG (netbsd-advocacy), root@garbled.net (root)
From: cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
Date: 15 Sep 1998 15:52:31 -0700

Brian_de_Alwis@oti.com (Brian de Alwis OTT) writes:
> I think it's important that we cause NetBSD to be associate with important
> concepts, rather than just implanting the NetBSD name in people's heads.

There are, of course, multiple ways to look at this.

I think there's something substantial to be said for just getting more
name recognition.  Name recognition often leads to interest,
inquiries, etc., and that in turn gives us the ability to spread our
message.

Basically, if people start to hear and see the NetBSD name more, in
more eye/ear-catching ways, then I think they'll start making
inquiries about "what is this thing really about."  Even better if the
ways they see/hear about NetBSD are non-negative.  8-)

(The one example of name recognition -> sales that's most striking is
some of the recent (in the last 2 years) TV new-drug advertising.
Often, in the initial ads, there's just something wacky and a name,
and a suggestion to ask your doctor about it... even if no substantive
information is given about what the drug even does!  They don't seem
unsuccessful...)

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/