Subject: Re: Various ramblings...
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/23/1995 14:59:43
Monroe Williams has randomly hit several keys, resulting in
> >> this ever happen? I took a quick look at the netatalk sources, and it looks
> >> like the kernel stuff is just a Loadable Kernel Module, but it's written
> >> for SunOS; I'd have quite a bit of learning to do before I could even think
> >> about making a NetBSD version. (Do lkm's even work in NetBSD/mac68k? They
> >> don't seem to be enabled in any of the default config files...)

 LKMs work, I've used ip_filter. Just add 'options LKM' to the kernel config.

> According to the docs, it implements an Appletalk protocol stack under
> unix, along with some of Apple's printing and file-sharing protocols. I got
> it from:
> ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk/

 There's also bsdatalk,
o AppleTalk Protocol Stack for BSD
  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/playground/bsdatalk.tar.gz

 Of course, you could use uar (Unix Appletalk Router) which is a userland
program that uses bpf to do the Appletalk thing (munnari.oz.au:/pub/mac)
and CAP (ftp.rutgers.edu) to provide Appletalk services. A kernel/lkm
implementation would probably be more efficient, though.

--
Religious fanatics harangue the crowd from helicopters
and rain stone tablets on their heads, inscribed with