Subject: Re: PPP on NetBSD/mac68k?
To: MacBSD General <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/21/1995 16:44:12
And then spake Dameon D. Welch as follows:
> Of greater interest to me right now is getting PPP up and running on
> my machine so that I can do all those funky Internet things (like
> telnet, ftp, and irc). Can anyone point me in the right direction as
> to where to get the PPP software and a general idea of what I need to
> do to get it set up?

Yeah, the ppp software is /usr/sbin/chat & /usr/sbin/pppd.

The manual pages for chat(8) and pppd(8) should tell you all you need to know.
Basically what you need to do is:
1. Use chat to connect to your ppp server and log in automatically
   something like
   # chat ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ATZ OK \
   ATDT9999999 CONNECT ogin:--ogin:--ogin: foobar ssword: mypassword
1a. the arguments to chat are much like uucico chat scripts (this only helps
    you if you're an old UUCPer like me ;-)
1b. it is a VERY good idea to put the arguments into a file chmod'd
    600 and use chat -f 'cause if you don't people can see your PPP login
    & password via ps -e
2. Start up pppd... (obviously replace ttyNN & 38400 with applicable
   parameters)
   # pppd modem defaultroute passive /dev/ttyNN 38400
3. Use the net, whoohoo!
4. When you're done, kill pppd to drop the connection
   # kill `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`

A useful thing to do is to put 'modem defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat
-f /etc/ppp/chatscript" passive' into /etc/ppp/options then you can just
alias something to 'pppd /dev/ttyNN 38400' to start up, and you can use
a shell alias to kill pppd as described above. (As you can probably tell
I've not actually attempted that.)

Hope this helps.
-Brian

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger