Subject: Re: mac system software version
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@max.tiac.net>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1995 09:04:28
On Sun, 30 Jul 1995, Space Case wrote:

> On Jul 30, 11:58pm, Scott Lipcon wrote:
> >someone mentioned to me that he thought that macbsd was incompatable with
> >system 7.5.  is this true?
>
> Works for me.  Mac II/PMMU, 8MB, Sys 7.5.1, Mode32-7.5, 32-bit addressing,
> VM off, 1-bit video, extensions _on_ (albeit a limited set).
>
> >I have had trouble getting it to boot, my system isn't supported officially.
>
> Though the FAQ is old, it is still pretty accurate as to which systems it
> will run on.  Basically Mac II w/PMMU thru IIsi.  Limited documentation on
> such things as ADB and SCSI interface hinder efforts to make it run on
> later machines.
>
> > EXACTLY how should the mac side be
> >set up?  VM is OFF, 32-bit addressing is ON, monitor set for BW, booting
> >with no extensions, System 7.5, 10Mb RAM.
> >
> >any ideas?  Can I boot from a system 6.0.7 floppy and then launch booter
> >from the mac hard disk?
>
> What kind of system do you have, and what error do you get?

	I have a LC, upgraded to have a 030, MMU, and FPU.  I have tried
4 different kernels, one of them had 13 bars, one had 1 bar, and two
didnt even get that far.  The ones with bars had some problem with video,
so I tried to boot with a serial console, following the IIsi
instructions.  The ones that don't have bars are the newer ones, that are
supposed to work on the IIsi.  If I hvae serial off, the only message
that comes up is "ser console 0" and if serial is on, it says "ser
console 1".  That is displayed in booter's window, before macbsd takes
over the screen and makes it go white.  This is all from memory, so if it
isn't detailed enough, email me and I'll try them all again when I'm at home.

BTW: I have 10Mb of RAM, and I am trying to boot from a 4Mb Syquest
cart... I know, even if I get it working, 44Mb wont be useful, but its
the attempt, not the utility.

Scott