Subject: Re: ps and kernel incompatibilities
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/03/1995 17:47:29
> For several weeks now, w hasn't worked with the kernel I've got.  I
> recently installed a kernel from June 28 sources, and now ps doesn't
> work, either.

Don't run dt or X with this kernel.  Bad Things will happen.  Get the
latest changes to grf.c, grf_mv.c, etc. from the source directory.

> Doing a "make" in src/sys/bin/ps doesn't produce
> anything that understands things any better.  What should I do?
> procps works, but it's annoying...

You need to install new headers, build and install libkvm, and then
build ps.

> Also, I can't get "make build" to work.  It dies on a conflict between
> src/lib/libterm/tputs.c and /usr/include/curses.h.  (Should it even be
> looking in /usr/include for header files?)

This was discussed on current-users.  If you're trying to keep up with
-current or build current sources, you should be on this list.  There
are a few other "gotchas."  In this case, compiling and installing
libcurses will work.

> On a related note, is there a make argument I can give that won't do a
> clean of all the directories?  It seems to me like it kind of defeats
> the purpose of using make in the first place if you remove all your
> object files before you start compiling.

If you're doing a "make build," no.  You can just do "make" and it will
compile everything in order, but that's probably not what you want.  I
usually make a backup of the Makefile and change it to meet my needs.
If I've already done the cleandir and a library build dies, take out the
cleandir step and the depend step, etc...  If you do this, BE CAREFUL
and always try a clean build before reporting problems.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **