Subject: Re: IIsi/IIvi/IIvx/? test kernel
To: None <magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/10/1995 20:29:00
> (silly question, but I have to ask it)
> Do you have the serial console box checked in the booter?

I actually answered that in my original message :-), but anyway,
yes, I'm booting with a serial console, because when I tried
booting netbsd.950508 without a serial console, it put up a few
lines of text at the top of the screen (if they're important,
I'll try it again and write them down) about preserving the
netbsd symbol table, and about how my video mapping is weird,
and then it just hung.

(and no, I didn't make the change in /etc/ttys to
turn ttye0 back on... that's only read when init finishes
/etc/rc and spawns getty processes, and it didn't even
get to single-user)

Booting with a serial console, however, it's happy. It gave
the extra debugging information you mentioned, gave me a
getty, and I'm using it to type this.

> Even when the keyboard didn't work, I could get the boot sequence to
> show up on the internal video- right up until it hung.  Perhaps this
> signals a difference between the IIsi and IIvx.

The boot sequence DOES show up on the internal video--which makes
me think that it's *almost* working--it's just that only the
first few lines of it do, and then it hangs.

Question: Could it be reading some erroneous MacOS data
structures that tell it what bit depth, what resolution, etc.
the video is set at? Because I've noticed that MacOS sometimes
gets confused as to whether it's B/W or color (the behavior
will be that it will put up welcome to macintosh in B/W,
then realize that it's really supposed to be color, blank
the screen, set it to color mode, and then draw the extension
icons in color)

Thanks for the help!
--
____  -Ben Cottrell--some assembly required.
\  / Geek 2.1: GCS -d+ H s+:+ g+ p2+ !au a15 w++ v- C++++ U?++ P+ L 3 E>+ N++