Subject: Re: II or IIx as 'network analyzers'?
To: Peter Brewer <pbrew@Orbital.COM>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/03/1995 23:21:35
> I have an old II or IIx here at work which I would like to use as
> a 'network analyzer' using the BPF tools et al. Is this possible?

Should be with one of the current kernels.

> If so which video card is best for use with MacBSD?

Any basic mac video card--the toby frame buffer
or "Macintosh II High Resolution Video Card" seem
to work well.  Stay away from the "Macintosh Display
Card," though, as it has some problems when you
try to use it in conjunction with the ethernet.  And
it'll continue to do so until I can get the video
interrupts disabled.

> I guess Asante is the best ethernet card.

Probably.  I haven't put it into a high utilization,
yet, but it seems to be working pretty well.  (A couple
of "receiver ring buffer overrun" warnings--roughly
once/day.)

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **