Subject: Minimum booting system
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Herdman <apollo@io.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/30/1995 12:40:07
Hello;

While waiting for a kernal that doesn't spew out 'panic: biodone already'
I have been experimenting with different formatting options on my HD.
None of which have worked, but I have installed NetBSD on my mac 8 times
in the past week.  I have noticed that the install program is terribly
slow.  I am wondering what would be required for a minimum single user
boot system that I can use the installer to install, and use cpin to copy
the large main tarfile into the unix filesystem for extraction their.
This is my guess for what I need:

/netbsd
/bin/sh
/bin/ls
/bin/mv
/bin/rm
/bin/df
/usr/bin/tar

I'm not sure if tar uses gzip or somthing else with the z option, maybe
it's built in.  I'm also curious if anything from /usr/lib should be
included as I believe most of everything may be compiled using shared
libraries these days.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew