Subject: Console Ownership
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/22/1995 19:10:13
	I've noticed that NetBSD doesn't seem to change the ownership
of /dev/console to the user who's logged in there.  This doesn't seem
to be too big a problem, but it seems to mean that the TIOCCONS
ioctl(2) quietly fails, so "xterm -C" doesn't actually run an xterm
which will receive console messages.  Or something.  At any rate, when I
change the ownership of /dev/console by hand, "xterm -C" works as
expected.

	I notice that the ownership of /dev/ttye0 is changed, though.
This seems like it must be related somehow...  SunOS 4.1.3 has
/etc/fbtab which controls this kind of thing, but I don't know what
actually reads it.  What's up with NetBSD in this regard?

--
Tres Hofmeister                       Research Applications Program
tres@ncar.ucar.edu         National Center for Atmospheric Research