Subject: Micron Xceed Color 30 Hack
To: Steven Lee <shl1@cornell.edu>
From: Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/18/1995 16:19:05
Steven Lee writes:
:
: BTW, has anyone gotten either X or dt to run on an SE/30 with Xceed
: 8-bit video card (with the grayscale adapter for internal monitor
: installed)?

Steven,

	I just got the Micron Xceed Color 30 in my SE/30 working, via a
hack to /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev/grf.c.  This is hardly the final
solution (it's completely un-portable), but it works for me at the
moment.  With this patch applied, both X11R6 and dt work fine on both
displays.  (The internal video is display :0.1, the external, :0.0)

	I've included a patch for the NetBSD-current grf.c of April
15th below.  It assumes that the Micron is the first display, which is
the case on my SE/30, at least.  It also disables NuBus slot
interrupts, which the Micron seems to have trouble with.

--
Tres Hofmeister                       Research Applications Program
tres@ncar.ucar.edu         National Center for Atmospheric Research

*** grf.c_orig	Sun Apr 16 22:39:37 1995
--- grf.c	Tue Apr 18 15:41:52 1995
***************
*** 559,566 ****
--- 559,575 ----
  	gi->gd_fbaddr=(caddr_t) ((u_long)image->offset+(u_long)nu->addr);
  	gp->g_fbkva=gi->gd_fbaddr;

+ 	/* Hack Alert!  The Micron Xceed Color 30 VRAM is actually 512KB.
+ 		OTH <tres@ncar.ucar.edu>  4/16/95 */
+ 	if (gNumGrfDev == 0)
+ 	    gi->gd_fbsize = 524288;
+
+ 	/* Hack Alert!  The Micron doesn't like this, either...
+ 		OTH <tres@ncar.ucar.edu>  4/17/95 */
+ 	/*
  	add_nubus_intr((unsigned int)nu->addr & 0xFF000000, macvideo_intr,
  			(gp - grf_softc));
+ 	*/

  	gNumGrfDev++;