Subject: Re: X trouble....
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG, macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Lee <shl1@cornell.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/14/1995 13:00:48
At 5:06 PM 4/14/95, Tres Hofmeister wrote:
>        Did you ldconfig(8) the directory where the X shared libraries
>reside, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory?  I don't know if
>that's in the instructions, but it's not goint to work without it...

Thanks you and those who kindly pointed out this oversight on my part ;-)

>        For instance, on the internal display, the gp->g_display
>structure looks like this:
>
>gd_fbsize: 21888
>gd_fbwidth: 512
>gd_fbheight: 342
>gd_fbrowbytes: 64
>
>        So...
>
>        gd_fbwidth * gd_fbheight / 8 = gd_fbsize
>        gd_fbsize / gd_fbheight = gd_fbrowbytes
>
>        But on the Micron:
>
>gd_fbsize: 491520
>gd_fbwidth: 640
>gd_fbheight: 480
>gd_fbrowbytes: 1024
>
>        So you can see it's quite different.  I'm shooting in the dark
>here.  Can anyone give me an idea if the above is in fact the way these
>values are supposed to be related?  If I start fooling around with the
>device driver, it'll be only at the most crude level (say, hard wiring
>what I think are the correct values) as that's about as far as my
>understanding (currently) goes...

Yup, that makes sense.  Micron equips their 8-bit card with 512K of VRAM on
board.  My card even came with the "Virtual Video" software which allows
you to have a virtual desktop of 1024x512 at 8-bit or 1024x1024 at 4-bit.
Because it uses the extra VRAM on the video card unlike other virtual
desktop software that uses DRAM, it is _very_ fast.  This dandy feature
(especially when working with spreadsheets) apparently becomes a problem
for dt and X in MacBSD.  Developers, is there anyway this "feature" can be
bypassed (e.g. ignore the "extra" VRAM on the card)?  There are quite a few
of us out there with Micron cards in our SE/30s.  If you need testers, I
would be more than happy to volunteer myself :-)

Steven H. Lee                                          shl1@cornell.edu