Subject: Re: pppd leaves serial port unusable after shutting it off?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Paul R. Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/08/1995 16:30:31
On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, Ken Nakata wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I switched from SLIP via my school's dial-in pool (to which I have to
> make long distant calls) to PPP via a local ISP, and started
> experiencing one particular problem (as well as silo overflow which
> isn't too bad as long as connection is intact).  After shutting off
> pppd, it leaves the serial port unusable, making it impossible to
> reestablish the connection.  To be precise, I can't send anything to
> my modem after shutting off pppd.  DTR appears to be controlled
> properly, however.

Hmm.  pppd works just fine for me; it even hangs up the modem if I kill
the ppd process.  And haven't yet had a problem restarting.  But I _am_
seeing lots of ser0: silo overflow errors, which just started since I've
upgraded to -current.  Never used to get them on 1.0, even running the
port at 57600, but with -current I get them frequently at 19200,
continuously at 38400 or 57600, and occassionally when the port speed set
as low as 14400.

| Paul Goyette            | PGP Public key available on request  |
| Paul@pgoyette.bdt.com   | Fingerprint: 0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0 |
|                         |              E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6 |