Subject: pppd leaves serial port unusable after shutting it off?
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/08/1995 17:27:09
Hi,

I switched from SLIP via my school's dial-in pool (to which I have to
make long distant calls) to PPP via a local ISP, and started
experiencing one particular problem (as well as silo overflow which
isn't too bad as long as connection is intact).  After shutting off
pppd, it leaves the serial port unusable, making it impossible to
reestablish the connection.  To be precise, I can't send anything to
my modem after shutting off pppd.  DTR appears to be controlled
properly, however.

At this point, all I can do is to reboot the box, and everything gets
alright again.  Is anyone else experiencing this, too?  I've never had
this problem when I was using SLIP, BTW.

Ken