Subject: Re: Networking problems
To: None <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Chris Jones <jones@cs.montana.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/03/1995 15:15:08
> > It seems that newlines cause my machine's network to hang.  (This is
> > my best guess; it never hangs in the middle of a line, and the chance
>
> I have seen this problem, but I don't think it's the newlines doing it,

You're right; upon further examination, I've discovered that it will
in fact sometimes hang in the middle of a line.  Could this be because
of packet size?  (lots of little packets get through, but a few big
ones don't)  How could I test this?

I've also noticed that I can cat a big file with rsh and not have it
lock up, but the same file will lock up the network with telnet or
rlogin.  rsh seems to only lock up when I don't give it any arguments,
so it tries to start up a login session.  In that case, it locks up in
the middle of the motd.

Also:  I seem to have *slightly* more success when the load is very
high.  I've tried using rsh to do a "find / -print >/dev/null" to keep
it busy, and then telnetting in; this actually works!  (Somewhat.  It
will still eventually lock up, usually after the find exits.)

Thanks everybody for your comments!

					Chris

--
* Chris  | "Nobody likes brain alteration!"                              *