Subject: Re: Please help!
To: Yulim Tan <Yulim.Tan@scinfo.u-nancy.fr>
From: Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/07/1995 16:07:04
I had a problem similar to this.  If you aren't getting "death chimes"
(i.e. a minor chord) when you turn it on, you probably have a software
problem, not a hardware problem.  In my case, it required a system clean
install* to fix it.  You can also try attacking the disk with Norton or
something like Disk First Aid or HD setup.  For me, only the clean install
worked.

You may be asking, how can I install to a disk I can't mount?  Well, I
found that even though I could not boot from the drive, it would mount if I
booted from another disk.

Good luck,

--Rob.

* A clean install is when you drag the current finder and system to the
trash, rename the system folder, and then install the system.  This forces
the installer to build the system from scratch.  Alternatively, you can use
Cmd-Shift-K in the System 7.5 installer to force it to perform the clean
install.