Subject: RE: BSD&Mac networking
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy Alan Green <jag@tiac.net>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/29/1995 13:41:41
A/UX does not support ppp.  I got A/UX with the intention of using it as a
router between ppp and ethernet... among other things and I found that it
only supports slip... besides that it seems like a really neat operating
system.
I now have MachTen which does support ppp, it is quite nice.  It runs
pretty fast considering it is running in emulation and on top of the
macOS... though I think Tenon likes to say that it runs beside the macOS.
Once you run MachTen you cannot quit it without restarting the machine...
it patches itself into the MacOS quite a bit I believe.  I've also played
with NetBSD/Mac68k quite a bit.  It is pretty nice but it completely
removes the MacOS from memory and offers no MacOS emulation.  I think they
just recently got ethernet support working so it should be able to route
between ppp and ethernet... though it only runs on a small subset of macs
(II w/mmu,IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIvx(kind of) and a few others).  There are a
few machines which they have not figured out the adb hardware on (IIvx) so
you have to use the serial port for the console.
MacBSD is available from

ftp://cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu/pub

                -Jeremy

>What??? A/UX has the complete Berkeley networking suite in its kernel.
>MacOS *does not*. A/UX contains several ethernet device drivers. The
>machine you mentioned was a Centris/Quadrs 650 a perfect vehicle for
>A/UX.

                      Jeremy Alan Green
             jag@tiac.net    jag@world.std.com
            meyer@acs.bu.edu   meyer@csa.bu.edu