Subject: Re: Options
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tony@odin.sunquest.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/18/1995 15:29:57
> : There was a couple of students who were working on a Linux port to
> : the PowerMac, but they were running into almost insuperable problems
> : for a while--I don't know how they fare, now.
>
> 	The contact for the Power Macintosh Linux port is Jem Lewis
> <jlewis@polar.bowdoin.edu>.  The information doesn't seem to change very
> often, but try fingering the account:

The FAQ mailed to port-ppc last week says:

>Q) On what hardware will Linux/PowerPC run ?
>
>A) Our first target platform was the Apple 601-based PowerMac series
>   without PCI bus.
>
>   Our second target is Motorola's 603-based PowerStack series with ISA
>   and PCI busses.

I can't figure out if my grasp of English nuances is poor, or if the 'was'
in 'Our first target platform was the Apple 601-based PowerMac' is
especially significant - probably the later.

The FAQ also stated:
>   Unfortunately, little progress can be reported on the PowerMac port
>   due in part to difficulty acquiring Apple proprietary internal bus
>   and firmware specifications.
>      In December 1994, Bowdoin College withdrew its support of the
>   project.  The two remaining student volunteer porters are nearing
>   graduation and concomitant ejection into the real world.

Basically, I wouldn't hold my breath for a PowerMac/Nubus Free UNIX.

tony