Subject: re: db 'step' function
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wittkoski <jpw@insoft2.insoft.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/04/1995 08:55:59
> >Has anyone successfully used the 'step' function in the kernel debugger?
>
> Let me second the explanation offered by Eric Van Buren.  There is a debug
> mode available in the 68000 where an interrupt is generated after every
> instruction, but I doubt that kdb uses it.  If you feel like doing kdb
> development to support that mode I am sure the remaining users of the 68000
> would be grateful on more than just the MacBSD platform.  (I should talk
> after all the time I've put in.)

Well, I know that the tracing mode is enabled (because I set it) so that it
will trap after each instruction. You are right, however, I do now know if
the kernel debugger supports this mode or not.

Whether I am tracing through RAM/ROM is a secondary issue, however. Tracing
with 'step' does not work when the instruction are in RAM, either. So
regardless of whether the kernel debugger uses tracing mode traps or replaces
the next instruction - I still can't get it to work properly.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Technical Support Engineer      Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504