Subject: Keeping MacBSD up and running...
From: Dameon D. Welch <dwelch@scudc.scu.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/27/1994 04:30:01
Here's various things I have working under MacBSD (which I will upload
to acm once I get some time):

1. elm (I compiled a clean version, although I had to make a small
change to a sourse file).

2. cnews (News processing software)

3. Taylor UUCP (included with NetBSD -- but couldn't compile 1.05 for
some reason)

4. trn (Threaded readnews) so that I can read news.

So basically, I have it all set up as a Leaf UUCP news/mail site,
which is just what I wanted NetBSD for. The Mac versions of the
various utilities are not nearly as fast as the ones under Unix. ;-)

However, there are of course some problems (Have an SE/30, running the
'1.0 patched' kernel -- NOT mrg, because mrg doesn't work). After a
while, I get the infamous 'biodone already' kernel panic (I have a 270
meg SyQuest that is my main root device and about 128 megs of a 520
meg Maxtor drive for 'extra' storage).  I also, of course, have the
ADB bug too, which I sorta get around by using 'screen' (the GNU
utility -- dt or X doesn't work either).

I noticed that the distribution of X11R6 ported to MacBSD included no
'example' files to be used with X init, et al. It also did not include
the man pages, so I had no clue of figuring it out myself. Perhaps
this is why I get a 'core dump' when I try to use it (Have the Micron
Xceed Color/30).

<Groan>, oh well. Hope everyone on the list had a happy Christmas-type
holiday.

--
< Dameon D. Welch (dwelch@rahul.net, dwelch@scudc.scu.edu, et al. ) >
     "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot