Subject: Re: MacLinux
To: Coty Rosenblath <coty@NETCOM.COM>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/20/1994 04:13:33
> I haven't tried NetBSD, yet.  Perhaps it has a similar filesystem; however,
> I have not heard of such.  If not, I think this would be a really nice
> addition.

yes, NetBSD has a MS-DOS file system.  apparently, it even works
properly on big-endian machines.

> For what (little) it is worth, I would think UHFS would be simpler than
> UMSDOS, given that HFS already supports long names and soft links.

"bzzzt."  just because the file system is closer to the UFS, in terms
of stuff like naming, doesn't mean that it will be any easier to
implement.

In fact, i'd rate HFS a fair bit harder...  (for info on why, go pick
up Inside Mac, or whatever they're calling the N-volume-set these days.)

chris