Subject: Advice on MacBSD on a IIcx, please...
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: John Lucas-Williams <john@alysian.demon.co.uk>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/18/1994 08:53:29
For a couple of months now I have been following the MacBSD messages in the hope
of getting the necessary info and being able to 'pluck up the courage' to
install MacBSD on my IIcx. I have downloaded the FAQ and have a 'little'
knowledge of UNIX 'basics'.

There are a couple of points that I would be grateful for advice on please:

My IIcx has a 5/40 configuration. I have never thought of installing a bigger HD
but I do have a Bernouilli 150 Meg drive attached (and the cartridges give me
unlimited storage, albeit in 150 Meg 'slices').

Would MacBSD 1.0 install satisfactorily on a 40 Meg internal HD? - or failing
that, would it be possible to run it off the Bernouilli drive?

Is the Apple formatter on the System disks suitable for creating a UNIX
partition or should I get another formatting program? What is recommended in the
latter case?

It seems that MacBSD 1.0 is not yet available on the MacBSD archives of
demon.co.uk (my Internet provider) even though they are supposed to be one of
the sites that are designated for providing it. Are there plans for putting it
on? - or are there plans for providing it on CD ROM or similar?

Any good advice would be gratefully received - I would like to get UNIX 'up and
running' if possible.

Thanks in advance,

John

--
John Lucas-Williams - john@alysian.demon.co.uk and 100015,2627 on CompuServe

"I never met an application I couldn't crash!" (Anon)