Subject: Re: MacLinux
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew J. Paier <ajp2@po.cwru.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/17/1994 17:59:09
>> I only wish that NetBSD/68k got as much press and support.
>
>So what IS the point of porting linux to the mac.. NetBSD
>is a much better implimentation of unix than linux...
>If a MacLinux team does exist, why don't they concentrate on
>helping the Alice team instead of stealing their code...
>The only reason linux is popular is because it is a free, and
>runs on intel-based pcs.. and is the first decent
>operating system available for them (decent compared to
>Windows and DOS)

Well, the other issue may be that there are several programs that have been
written specifically for Linux that people may be interested in running.
As I will soon be doing GIS work, I am hoping that Linux mac comes out in
the near future as there is a Linux version of GRASS (the standard GIS
system) already available.  I have no idea if it would work as well on any
of the BSD flavors, and it looks like a long time until MacBSD is running
on my powerbook 540c.

-AP

ajp2@po.cwru.edu (Andy Paier)
affiliations:  Sigma Nu, Dagorhir Kingdom of Pentwrvyn, Greater Cleveland
Ultimate League