Subject: Re: IIsi
To: kr <kr@shell.portal.com>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/11/1994 23:13:50
kr Wrote:
> Might it be possible that there are bugs in the ROMs, which the MacOS needs
> to patch upon start-up before being able to do something useful ? If one
> would then not emulate this machine-specific patching, it would not work
> very well.

If your Mac comes up with a moveable pointer before it says, "Welcome
to Macintosh," this is unlikely.  In fact, I don't think there are
any Macs in which the ADB is nonfunctional before loading a system
patch.  This seems clear if you look at the low memory globals on
a IIsi at the moment the debugger is loaded.  If you start with
"CONTROL" down, you can see that the interrupt routines and trap
vectors all go into the ROMs.  And your keyboard and mouse work at
that point, through the ROMs, so there is some other reason for
the MRG driver not working than missing a system patch.  I'm
probably just not as smart as I think I am or something simple
like that.

If someone would loan me their IIsi during January, I would
be happy to buy them a pizza and pay for shipping and pour my
brain into making the IIsi/IIvx/... ADB work.

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with rasterizing arbitrary
convex polygons.  Wake me if someone has the guts to mail a IIsi
or IIvx to Santa Barbara for a month.

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com ++++++++++++++++ http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/
UNIX is kind of like a car with primer but no paint, foam but no upholstery, a