Subject: inetd is puking on me
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Jann <jann0004@itlabs.umn.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/01/1994 13:25:21
Ok, after my hard drive died on me (I should learn to make backups) I
finnally got all the netbsd_mac binaries and such installed on several
partitions on my new drive.  (I have a 250MB partition for /usr, 250MB
for /home, and 60MB for /)

I am using slip, for my network connection, which I initiate after it
is done booting.  During boot, it makes the route to localhost and
that is it.  After I dial in, I run a script that adds my route, and
sets up sl0, and then starts inetd.

After this, the services that inetd takes care of (finger,telnet,etc.)
don't work, they make a connection, but don't produce any output.
About every 2 minutes I see "<date> Elmo inetd[82]: pmap_set: 100001 2
17 1027: Address already in use" (where the numbers in that group
increase each time.)

This happens for about 7 minutes, before something happens, and
suddenly things start working (the error stops, and finger produces
output)

I have done the same things during boot, and to set up slip, as I did
when I had my old drive, but with my old drive, I didn't get these
errors, or anything.  I beleive I have /etc/resolve.conf, /etc/hosts,
and /etc/inetd.conf set up the same as before (/etc/hosts contains
only my localhost "127.0.0.1 localhost Elmo" entry, and resolve.conf
has two lines for my nameserver and domain)

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong, or has anyone
ever encountered such errors before?

--
Scott Jann (Mr. Bill)
   email: jann0004@maroon.tc.umn.edu