Subject: SE/30 Help Needed: dt Dumps Core
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/30/1994 01:10:00
	I've got NetBSD-1.0 installed on my SE/30.  The installation
went quite smoothly.  I'm experiencing what I assume is the
ADB/scrolling bug, and so have installed dt, version 1.0.  Whenever I
run it, though, it dumps core.  Here are some specifics:

Script started on Tue Nov 29 16:20:25 1994
myname# gdb dt.debug dt.debug.core
Core was generated by `dt.debug'.
#0  0x770c in grf_blankscreen (grf=0) at grf.c:633
633				*screenptr++ = 0;
(gdb) where
#0  0x770c in grf_blankscreen (grf=0) at grf.c:633
#1  0x669c in grf_init (fontname=0x63eb "large") at grf.c:192
#2  0x2f52 in main (argc=1, argv=0xffffcb90) at main.c:282
(gdb) list
628		while(rowcnt--)
629		{
630			screenptr = rowptr;
631			longcnt = longstore;
632			while(longcnt--)
633				*screenptr++ = 0;
634			rowptr += rowbytes;
635		}
636	#else
637		longcnt = gp->g_display.gd_fbrowbytes * gp->g_display.gd_fbheight;
(gdb) q
myname#
Script done on Tue Nov 29 16:21:43 1994

	I'm running System 7.1 with Mode 32 7.5, no extensions (shift
key depressed during boot).  The machine's got 16MB of RAM, and a Micron
Exceed Color 30 video card.  I've got the the menu bar on internal video,
and both displays set to 1 bit mode.  NetBSD boots with the console on
the internal display.  When I try to run dt, it clears the top 60% of
the *external* display, then dumps core.

	I've tried recompiling dt, to no effect.  I'm stumped at this
point, and would be happy to receive a suggestion or two.  I'm looking
forward to getting things working smoothly!

	I seem to remember recent messages on this list concerning the
SE/30 with the Micron card, but I deleted them, thinking I could simply
get them from the mailing list archive.  Unfortunately, the archive on
hulk.sfsu.edu is two months out of date.  Are recent messages available
somewhere?

	By the way, is something wrong on acm.vt.edu?  I tried all day
to get on, but got a "too many users" error each time.  I'd like to
thank Brad Carlson <carlson@Free-Net.Mpls-StPaul.MN.US> for taking the
time to make available to me the FAQ and dt-1.0.

--
Tres Hofmeister
tres@ncar.ucar.edu