Subject: Re: I never thought I'd be asking this
To: Chris Jones <jones@cs.montana.edu>
From: None <busy@aloha.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/17/1994 15:52:24
At 4:19 PM 11/17/94, Chris Jones wrote:

>Bad form to followup to my own post, I know, but it seems relevant.  I
>discovered that the problem apparently was that mkfs randomly
>clobbered parts of my disk.  After running the System 7 version of
>mkfs, I've encountered bad files on my Mac partitions and ended up
>with newly fs'ed partitions that BSD doesn't like -- it says that the
>superblock doesn't match the first alternate.  This has happened on
>more than one occasion.  What I eventually did was to use mkfs only
>on the root partition, then install and boot BSD and run newfs from
>BSD on any other partitions I wanted to use.  Has anybody else
>encountered messed-up files after running mkfs?

What hard disk foramtting software are you using to partition? Are your
drivers up to date? What version of "System 7" are you running?

busy@aloha.com
Resident Quack,               "NEVER INSTALL LOTS OF NEW SOFTWARE AT ONCE."
Macintosh Geek                       --Mike Landis, mdl@macbeth.cs.duke.edu