Subject: Re: ifconfig problem
To: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@amherst.edu>
From: Brad Parker <brad@stemwinder.fcr.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/05/1994 17:32:30
Scott Kaplan wrote:
>So, I tried putting in a blank /etc/netstart file on Jeff's suggestion, and
>tried doing some things by hand.  Given the following command, the machine
>turns itself off:
>ifconfig ae0 inet sfkaplan.student.amherst.edu netmask 255.255.255.0

here's a total guess:  The nubus interrupts are controlled by VIA2
(a VIA is a chip; VIA2 is the second one, there are generally 2 in a mac)

interestingly, I believe VIA2 also controls the power down hardware.  If
there is a bug in this code, it might wack the bit which causes the
power to go away...

[I'll swear I got a nubus card to interrupt this week and got an
endless loop in the nubus int code]

I've been looking at the via2 code (the nubus interrupt path) and it
doesn't look right to me...  not that I can tell you why, however.
I'm currently trying to build a generic kernel which works.  no luck
yet.

-brad