Subject: Re: Question on formatting software.
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven R. Weiss <srw@cyberspace.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/03/1994 02:12:00
After I posted the results of my conversations with APS tech support,
namely that it wasn't OK to use that package unless you had a legal copy,
Chip Burkhead <chip@garnet.msen.com> said:

> Well, to my knowledge, they have never made it known that the software
> is commercial.

I second that, and said so to the guy at APS. They now send out a software
license document on paper that clarifies their position, but they never used
to do this, as far as I can remember.

> I also heard from another person that you can patch Apple HD SC to work
> with other drives. I have requested this info; but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have heard of this, too. I don't have the patch either.

"Tom 'moof' Spindler" <dogcow@ccs.neu.edu> said:

> I actually own an APS drive, and things seem to work better when you
> put their driver on all your disks.

I second that, too. I replaced the Apple driver with the APS driver on
my original equipment internal HD, just to be able to run it with
multiple MacOS partitions.

"Parag Patel" <parag@netcom.com> said:
> The new APS disk drivers are from Prosoft are also available
> commercially as part of the Drive7 utility from Casa Blanca Works.
> Earlier versions of Drive7 supported A/UX formatting but I don't know if
> newer revs still do.  I think that they do.  I don't know about the APS
> package's front-end since I haven't used it.

I used the Prosoft package that came with my new APS Hard Drive to partition
multiple HFS partitions for a Power Mac. It does do unix partitions.
The partitioning is way more limiting than the Transoft version.
You have to pick a partitioning scenario, while with the Transoft (APS 2.7.3)
version, you have much more flexibility, and you can even split an existing
partition or combine two, while leaving the others unchanged. The only
advantage the Prosoft package has is support for the new SCSI manager and
Power Macs, neither of which are of any value to MacBSD users

-srw      Steve Weiss - srw@cyberspace.org