Subject: Re: GNU chatter
To: MacBSD General <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/11/1994 12:43:15
Like Leonard, I am also getting pretty tired of the FSF/GPL/LPF
discussion here.   I had hoped that some meaningful progress might
come out of it, but it's clear now that that's not going to happen,
and I think it's time we stopped.   I'm glad to hear that some new
interest in the LPF was generated, but at this point further
discussion is likely to produce antipathy rather than interest.

However, I can't say that I find much of the traffic on this list even
as interesting as the aforementioned discussion - mostly it seems to
consist of net.newbies asking the same basic questions over and over.
I don't begrudge them the answers, but having hackers answer them
seems inefficient to me.

Maybe it's time to send out a FAQ with every subscription request and
bounce out messages from people who aren't on the mailing list, with
instructions on how to join and a copy of the FAQ.   The FAQ should
do a reasonable job of answering newbie questions, a date indicating
when it was last updated, and an admonishment not to ask for status
updates unless the FAQ is more than, say, a month out of date.

If nobody else wants to, I'm willing to maintain the FAQ, although
somebody else will have to place it since I don't have an account on
sun-lamp (or is it now netbsd.org?).

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division
mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com					+1 415 477 5045