Subject: Logical breakdown of FSF-boycott/Microsoft/etc.
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theodore F. Vaida ][ <tfv0@Lehigh.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/05/1994 15:09:04
Answers to this should be directed at the correctness, or falciousness
of these points, and the relatedness or disjointness, not form (hey, I just
copyrighted the look and feel of syllogisms!).

Genreally Agreed upon knowledge:
1.Apple has created a general atmosphere of restriction and otherwise terror
  in the programming community regarding the use of anything Apple has not
  expressly told everyone to use, and in exactly what manner it should be
  used, a dictatorial policy that has limited programming freedom.
2.Microsoft, though the use of predatory pricing, exclusive agreements (rammed
  down the throughts of hardware vendors), and massive 'oligopoly' pressure,
  has enforced its own version of autocratic command of the software industry.
3.FSF has implemented a boycott of Apple, its hardware and its user community
  in the form of refusal to support and maintain Macintosh versions of its own
  freely available software.

All actions that restrict the ability of users and programmers to use, program
and disseminate software are bad.
Some actions by Apple have restricted the ability of users and programmers to
use, program and disseminate software.
Therefore some actions by Apple are bad.

All actions that restrict the ability of users and programmers to use, program
and disseminate software are bad.
Some actions by Microsoft have restricted the ability of users and programmers
to use, program and disseminate software.
Therefore some actions by Microsoft are bad.

All actions that restrict the ability of users and programmers to use, program
and disseminate software are bad.
Some actions by FSF have restricted the ability of users and programmers to use,
program and disseminate software.
Therefore some actions by FSF are bad.

This is a logical construction dependant upon the 'Generally Accepted Facts'
listed above.  You see how easily the three individuals (Apple,Microsoft and
FSF) all easily interchange in the position of the big bad wolf (some badder
than others).  My personal opinion and suggestion is that FSF should rethink its
policy logcally, does their action of boycotting Apple make them guilty of the
very same practice they are tying to eliminate.

Specifically I am refering to the two handed way that FSF has dealt with Apple
and Microsoft.  If you will not support versions of you own software that I have
converted to Macintosh, then neither should you support patches for your
software that enable you to use MS-DOS, Microsoft C, Microsoft Windows or any
other Miscrosoft programming product or operating system.

"Trust no one and be honest with all" - Dad, from "Claudious the God"
     - Paranoid but it will keep you out of trouble
Sig Light: less bits, same witt.   |    In Hoc Signo Vinces
Finger pubkey@128.180.2.113 for my PGP key, or HELP@128.180.2.113
if no response, try later, the line is not dedicated