Subject: Another si/ci kernel
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Lawrence Kesteloot <lkestel@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1994 17:13:21
I've uploaded:

  cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu:
    /pub/NetBSD_Mac/for_testing/si.ci/netbsd-073194.gz
    /pub/NetBSD_Mac/for_testing/si.ci/dt.tar.gz

(The kernel I uploaded a few days ago was moved to netbsd-072894.gz in
the same directory.)

This new kernel maps NuBus space a bit more flexibly.  Some people
reported strange mappings with the 0728 one, so this one might do
a better job.  I also went ahead and fixed the case of a IIsi with
internal video unplugged.  I've tested this kernel on a IIci with
and without internal video and on a II.  Brad said that it wouldn't
boot on a IIcx.  I'd like some feedback on this one because this
code needs to be robust for the 1.0 release.

This new kernel also makes internal video look like a /dev/grf device
so that desktop can use it.  Since I've changed the way that grf
works a bit, I've included a new dt in the same directory (si.ci).
This desktop won't work with any other kernel.  There's support
for switching between monitors: hit Command-Shift-{1,2,3,...}
to switch the current virtual terminal to that monitor.  The
cut-and-paste behavior has changed to be more like X's xterm.  Read
the README.

The keyboard lockup problem is still there, so hit return slowly when
not in desktop.  IIsi keyboard still doesn't work.  Key repeat is
disabled.  Make sure you're in 1-bit mode on all your monitors.

If this kernel doesn't work for you, let me know what it prints out
before crashing.

If you get a signal 10 (bus error) or 11 (seg fault) on init (pid = 1),
you've either uncompressed the binaries in ASCII mode or you've got
old binaries.  We're planning on releasing the new binaries pretty
soon, so don't worry if that happens -- it's good news that it got that
far.

I'm returning this IIci to Scott Kaplan tomorrow morning (Monday), so
all fixes after today will be in the dark -- give me detailed debugging
output if it crashes.

Lawrence