Subject: Re: IIsi and IIci test kernel
To: Adrick <Adrick@Mankato.MSUS.EDU>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/28/1994 23:58:04
> At  9:58 PM 7/28/94 -0700, Michael Petrotta wrote:
> >I've got a IIsi and tried this.  Great work; this is the furthest I've
> >gotten with any kernel yet. The previously-unseen grey bars were a
> >wonderful sight.
> >
> >That wasn't very far, however.  After a great deal of configuration
> >info scrolled off the screen, The following looped continuously:
> >"Process (pid 1) got signal 11".  This was immediately preceded by (as
> >near as I could make out):
> >
> >Changing root device to sd0a
> >swapping 401 and 401
> >swapdev = 401, dumpdev = ffffffff.

I'm pretty sure this is because Mike's binaries are out of date with respect
to the kernel.  BTW, Mike, do you have an FPU?

>         Seems i managed to get a little furture on this one. I got as far
> as the /etc/rc's Welcome to Macbsd bit... it went on for a little bit and
> then asked for a terminal type... at which point it hung (or seemed to
> hang). Typing anything had no effect. (which i figured it wouldn't, but
> hey... when theres a prompt you've gotta try ;) I'll probably try tomorrow
> to see if I can steal a second computer and use it as a terminal/slip/etc
> just for the hell of it. Course, all of this is just for the "hell" of it
> being i have nothing better to do. To bad I don't know how to hack the adb
> port... or anything else for that mater.
>         I've also got a question that's been bugging me for the last couple
> of months. With all this talking of actually needing the a the computer in
> question to hack on... I've been wondering if a computer on the net using
> something like Timbuktu, carbon copy mac, etc would do the trick? I know
> you wouldn't be able to actually boot the kernel and actually see whats
> happening but you might be able to hack on some adb code? Probably wouldn't
> work but i thought i'd ask.

Actually, all you would need is a serial cable (with Null modem where
necessary; my imagewriter II serial cable worked fine by itself between
a IIvx and a IIci) and some editing.  If you use the Installer "cpout"
command to bring out the "/etc/ttys" file, you can activate /dev/tty1 as
a login port by changing any "/dev/tty1" or "/dev/tty01" lines to:

/dev/tty1	"/etc/getty std.9600"		vt100		on secure

and then "cpin" the file back to MacBSD when you're done.
Please make sure that
	- /dev/tty1 is actually the serial device (12, 1) in your /dev
	  directory (you can verify this using Installer "dir")
	- You change the baud rate "9600" above as appropriate
	- You change the "vt100" above if necessary; i.e. I have a
	  Televideo 924, and so my term type is "tvi924".

(This is how I'm running the IIvx that Peter Siebold graciously
loaned to me.)

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@netcom.com >+------+< Happily slaved to NetBSD/Mac68k!
MacBSD : II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, SE/30, IIsi, IIvx -- The list is growing...