Subject: Re: A Quadra port??!!?? YIPPEE!
To: Spencer Allan Smith <spencera@cs.uoregon.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/09/1994 21:53:08
> The Quadra 650 does indeed have the fully functional '040 chip. So in a
> certain sense,it might be a very similar machine to the Q700. I can hope,
> at least.

I wish I could tell you outright...  :-(

> I know that there's a
> flavor of UNIX that IBM has to rum on the PowerPC chip, and I guess Apple
> is getting ready to drop PowerOpen on the chip. Has anyone heard anything
> about these flavors, is there going to MacBSD for the Powermac?

There may be a BSD for the PowerPC, but it'll be a while...  For the Mac
port, we had a working 68k port to work from.  There is some work on a
PowerPC version of NetBSD in the works, but I don't know if it'll be for
the IBM or the Apple machines--I've got my hands full, now, with the 68k
port, and no PowerMac...  In either case, it's going to be a lot of work
and I won't count on the current effort getting anywhere until the code
shows up in the tree.  ;-)

IBM's AIX for the PPC won't run on Apple's hardware.  PowerOpen
will run on some of Apple's hardware, but it's not clear if it'll ever
run on the ones that are already shipping--I think not.

There will be, however, MachTen from Tenon Intersystems if you want to
run Unix on the PowerMac...  It's already running in emulation and will
be native this year, I believe.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **
= Over the years you swam the ocean following feelings of your own [...]  =
== It's a shame to have to die to put the shadow on our eyes.  We don't  ==
=== want to care. Under the bridge. Over the phone. Wind on the Water.  ===