Subject: Re: MacBSD printing, etc.
To: David C. Doherty <doherty@msc.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/16/1994 20:09:10
> My question is how do I get lpr/lpd to print to
> my NEC Silentwriter (postscript)?

Good question...  I think your best bet is to use the RS-232 option
instead of localtalk.  Not the best solution, I know...  I have one
of these printers, too (model 95, actually).  I've never tried to get
it to work more than just as a stab...  The entry in printcap is from
that (aborted) attempt.

> Is the localtalk port
> on the printer only expecting appletalk, or should the stuff

It's expecting appletalk.

> Or perhaps I need to connect to the serial port on the printer
> (is there a din-8 to db25 available)?

A modem or Imagewriter II connector should work.  I don't know
off-hand if you'll need a null-modem adapter, too.

> I hope that this question is posed somewhat intelligently, it's
> monday a.m., and I haven't had any caffeine yet. 8^|

Sorry it's taken a while to respond...

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****