Subject: Re: swap
To: Kevin Wilson 315-456-1404 <kevin@spef15.spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Michael Finch <finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/03/1994 18:28:36
Kevin Wilson 315-456-1404 wrote:
> disk:
> label:
> flags:
> Bytes/Sector: 512
> Sectors/track: 77
> Tracks/Cylinder: 15
> Sectors/Cylinder: 1155
> Cylinders: 1819
> RPM: 0                             <-----  This creates a problem later on.
> Interleave: 0
> Cylinder skew: 0
> Head switch: 0
> Track to track seek: 0             <-----  I wish!!!!  Should be ~8 or 9 ms.
> Drive data 0
> 8 partitions:                      <-----  There are only 7 now.  I assume
>                                             this means how many the drive can
>                                             support.
>     size     offset   fstype  fsize   bsize   cpg
> a:  675136  1310816   4.2BSD   1024    8192    16  ( 1134*-1719*)
> d: 2117025        0   unused      0       0        (    0 -1832*)
> e:  262144       96        9                       (    0*-227* )
>
> Warning RPM: 0
> boot block size 0
> super block size 0

> Partition a: is my root and usr partion.
>           d: looks like it is the whole disk (I used to this being c: but ok)
>           e: looks like it is my MacOS boot partion (It is the right size and
>                       almost at the start of the disk [ I should be the disks
>                       first physical partion].)
>
> I wanted to add a line:
> b: 131072 1985952 swap 1024 8192 16 ( 1719*-1819 )
> In fact I think I inadvertantly tried (q! does not seem to cancel disklabel)
> I got an error of disk RPM 0 and a segmentation fault.  The segmentation
> fault I assume is from the type 9 file system which is 1 beyond what BSD
> knows about. I didn't want to play with this too much as I didn't want to
> trash MacOS and all fy files!!!! :-(
>
> Is RPM realy used for anything? can I set it to something like 3600?

I'll respond to this since i'm the trouble maker that wrote most
of this code.  You are correct "a" is the root and usr, "d" is your
whole disk, and "e" is your macos partition.  I can't explain why
the macos is at "e" it should be at "b" since you don't have a swap
device.  I don't think you are using the latest kernel/disklabel
(for two reasons: the Macos is at "e" and it is called type "9"
instead of "HFS").  You can't write a disklabel.  The code is not
there to implement writing, and it would be quite rude to modify
the disklabel, SINCE it is the Mac's partition table, and the only
program that has any right to modify that is the program that
partitioned the disk IMHO.  As for the RPM being 0, I didn't bother
to set that field (and a couple others for that matter) because it
wasn't particularly useful to know.

Whatever disk partitioning program you used didn't set the A/UX
swap info correctly (assuming there is one).  Try a different
partitioning program.

-Mike

--
finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu 	| Ask me how to awaken the sexual