Subject: Re: recompiling the IIci kernel
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
From: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/30/1994 10:23:02
>>   I guess that I do have a problem. I got the recent kernel from kitten. I
>> was not able to boot. It did give a message that it was trying to boot, but
>> it hangs up. I got quite a few kernals and tried them they all hung up.
>
>Where do they get "hung up"?  How far do they get (how many gray bars, if it
>doesn't even get to clearing the screen)?
>
>>   I know that this kernel netbsd.CI has alwas booted. But quite a few times
>> I have to reboot because fsck gives a lot of errors.
>
>???  After clean shutdowns?  How are you shutting down the system?

    I watched the gray bars. I got all except for the last one when it
hangs up. I recompiles the kernel from the ksrc.tar file on cray-ymp, and
also from sys.tar file at sun-lamp in src directory. The kitten kernel does
not load saying bad format. I might try to recompile again if you have some
suggestions.

Note that on my macIIci they compiled and were made OK. Only minor glitch
is that although all lib.a files were made by make in /src/sys directory,
it coud not find /libkern.a after loading the netbsd step during the final
make process in the .../compile/GENERIC directory. So I made a soft link

  ln -s /sys/lib/libkern/libkern.a /libkern.a, after which it was made
successfully. I wonder if that means any problem. Pl. let me know.

  Thanks again. Since I talked to you yesterday about the kernal trap with
the new system, I have reinstalled the alpha version from cray-ymp. So what
I wrote above (lib stuff) applies to the alpha system. I have never got
farther on the new system to get to the kernal recompilation

 Sincerely;

Bharat S. Jhaveri

ARCO Exploration
 & Production Technology