Subject: recompiling the IIci kernel
To: None <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
From: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/26/1994 15:22:18
As I have been communicating with you, I am trying to connect HP printer at
57.6 Kbps to macbsd. I guess that I need to reconfigure the kernel with a
modified entry for Baud rate in /dev/ser routine. I was finally (after 16
hours straight trial and error,) was able to successfully recompile the
GENERIC configuration in the ksrc.tar.gz distribution I got fron cray-ymp.
I got the kernal compiled  without any problems. But my IIci would not boot
from it.

My question is , is it possible to have configuration file for the CI
version of the kernel. Since I have everything set up on my IIci, all it
will take for me to be able to recompile the kernal for 57.6kbps is the CI
configuration. I mean, the directory /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/{files
for CI configuration, and the corresponding, files.mac68k.newconf, and
std.mac68k, and the Makefile.mac68k}. I made some wild guesses for changing
the base configuration from the GENERIC file, based on the info I have from
general literature} but that did not work.

In all this, I am assuming that if I can recompile the CI kernel, then I
will recompile it again with the max baudrate of 57.6 Kbps in the /dev./ser
configuration code. I already got  Inside Mac vol II, I guess it is only
one change, from a digit 4 to 0 in one data structure call to the Apple
Serial Driver routine.

Anyway if you could point me where the souce  of that configuration
directory for CI is, I will appreciate it. I have spent a lot of days to
get this going, so I thought about trying a little more before giving up.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Bharat S. Jhaveri

ARCO Exploration