Subject: Re: Changing monitor colors...
To: Brad Grantham in Convenient Vinyl Pouch <grantham@netcom.com>
From: Lawrence Kesteloot <kesteloo@cs.unc.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/03/1994 17:01:28
> > > Running an se/30 w/ 8-bit external monitor, I'd rather have black background
> > > and white lettering than the reverse.
> > Oof.  You're welcome to modify the console.c on your machine and rebuild
> > the kernel.  ...
>
> The easiest kludge I can think of for this is to write a quick program to
> XOR all of the values in the font data files ("6x10.h" or some such)
> with 255.  Your font will be permanently inverted, but you won't have to
> mess with the spaghetti in console.c.

That will result in characters that are white on black, but the rest
of the screen will still be white because everything else (clear screen,
etc.) assumes a white background.

> You probably weren't looking for such a drastic solution, were you?
> I'm afraid we don't have a "reverse video" option... yet.

The code supports any foreground and background color, it's just that
those variables have to be set properly.  An ioctl should do the trick.
(Plus some futzing around to make sure all references to 0 and 255 are
changed to "background" and "foreground", etc.)

Lawrence