Subject: dev.tar problem?
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Franklin Chen <chen@adi.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/10/1994 22:05:14
I have been totally unsuccessful in getting Alpha2 to work on my SE/30.
It seems to fail trying to do "init"; then it winds up in an infinitely loop
("entering single-user mode" or something like that).  I don't remember any
problems while installing except that at the very end of installing dev.tar,
I got an error message from mknod.  I tried to look at the tar file from MacOS
using MPW muntar and suntar 1.3.3, but they both complained about a bad
magic number (are the tar files nonstandard?), so I couldn't tell what was
causing the mknod failure.  I don't see what this could have to do with my
init problem, but there it is, so I'm reporting it.