Subject: Re: X won't run on current kernel
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul R. Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 07/05/1995 17:53:30
On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Ken Nakata wrote:

> Probably this is Allen's "bad thing" that happens if you try to run X on
> current kernels, but I was somehow under the impression it was resolved
> when grf_{mv,iv}.c were introduced.  Anyway, X keeps dying on me on a
> current kernel as of today (July 5th), with the following message:
>
> # startx
>
> Couldn't map SCREEN 0.
> Fatal server error:
> Invalid argument
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> #
>
> Probably dt won't work, either.  I'll back off to an earlier
> kernel for a while.

Yep - I get the same error trying to startx on my Mac IIci, running
-current as of yesterday AM.  And you're right, dt doesn't work either -
it also reports the "invalid argument" (right before clearing the screen
- really hard to notice it!) and then just completely hangs the machine.

| Paul Goyette            | Key available via finger or key server |
| Paul@pgoyette.bdt.com   | Fingerprint: 0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0   |
|                         |              E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6   |