Subject: Re: Source for SCSI driver
To: Dan Menchaca <Dan_Menchaca@quickmail.apple.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 05/03/1995 15:35:17
> I don't know what CAM has to do with drivers.  What I believe is that CAM is a
> layer in between the driver and the interface to SCSI.  The SCSI interface is
> important to user accessible applications like formatting programs, scanner
> programs, CD-Audio players, tape backup programs, etc.  On other systems this
> is important.  For unix, non-storage operations for SCSI devices, it is
> important to at some point have this interface or something similiar.

You have a good deal of this already through ioctl()s, but it is not a
standard interface by any stretch of the imagination.  I.e., you can
write a program, now, to play audio tracks from a CD by opening the
/dev/cdXa device and sending it the proper ioctl()s.  I don't know if
the existing applications (Workman? xmcd?) will work on NetBSD/mac68k,
but they reportedly work for NetBSD/i386 which uses the same interface
(there are potential bit-order snags).

Similarly, there are ioctls for rewinding tapes, skipping filemarks, etc.

Not that this is CAM or anything close, but it does provide some of the
functionality that you're looking for.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **