Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: briggs@mail.vt.edu, Brian Gaeke <brg@dgate.ping.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/30/1995 12:31:11
[NOTE: I've changed reply-to to tech-kern, support for this is more
general then just a mac]

(Mac users are discussing the general issue of how partition in
preparation for an install, the info below may be useful)

FYI, HP/UX (at least) includes support for swapping at the end of a file
system.  Thus, when installing you:

	o	allocate/create *1* partition

	o	build a file system on it (but smaller
		then the allocated partition)

	o	swap `on' the file system partition
		(the kernel spots the file system, and
		swaps on the space at the end)

At first sight it might seem scary (certainly was for me :-)  It turns
out, however, that this feature really simplifies the install of work
stations.

	o	You're only using one patition for
		both FS and swap.

	o	you only have one file system
		[this could be a good thing or
		a dangerous thing, while not
		`optimal', it is certainly simple :-]
		[FYI, for backups, to avoid dumping
		all of the FS, HP/UX includes a tar style
		equivalent to dump]

just an observation ...

Hmm, perhaps NetBSD does this already ....

				Andrew