Subject: Re: macbsdand the hfs
To: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/25/1995 16:39:30
> I don't think there's any need to beat ourselves around the shoulders
> with farm equipment just because we require 32-bit mode.  System 7.5 has
> Mode32 integrated (doesn't it?) and it's not that hard to install.  I
> think some of our other requirements are probably in need of more adjustment,
> like requiring a II-class machine.

Umm, except that you _can_ (probably) change the fact that you require
32-bit mode -- it's an inconvenience, annoying to some.

You can't change the fact that you need a II-class machine, complete
with PMMU.  the 68000 doesn't have any support for restarting
instructions after faults, so you're just screwed unless you happen to
have two 68k's in parallel, one running slightly behind the other...
you also need the PMMU (or '030 mmu, etc.) to do paging...  period.

however, in the long run, i don't think _either "annoyance" is
significant.

cgd